Built in 1851, the building now known as the Toscano Hotel is one of the oldest commercial wood-frame structures in Sonoma and has a colorful history. In its early years, the building served many different purposes including warehouse for General Vallejo’s wine, general store, and lending library. In 1886 an Italian immigrant from Tuscany, Settimo Cuicci and his partner, L. Quartaroli, rented the building and turned it into a working man’s hotel (the Toscano, which means-man from Tuscany) to accommodate Italian immigrants who were hired to quarry basalt out of the hills behind the hotel. The basalt blocks were used to pave the streets of San Francisco and construct many buildings around Sonoma. In 1902, the kitchen and dining room were added providing additional rooms on the second story. Operated until 1955 it became part of the California Department of Parks and Recreation Sonoma State Historic Parks in 1957.
About this Establishment
Refurbishing of the Hotel was undertaken by the Sonoma League for Historic Preservation in 1972. With the help of California State Parks historian Beach Alexander period appropriate furnishings where procured from the California State Parks archives and the Toscano Hotel opened for tours in 1973. In 1980 the dining room and kitchen buildings were restored and opened for tours. Both buildings are open for docent led tours at times listed.
Time Period Represented: 1850 to 1950
Hours Open: docent led tours Saturday, Sunday and Monday 1-4 p.m.
Visitor Fees: Free of charge
Seasons Open: All Year
Price Style for this Establishment: free
ADA Accessibility Notes
For More Information, Contact:
29 East Spain Street , Sonoma, CA 95476