Browsed by
Tag: Historic or Pre-historic Place

Wonder Stump

Wonder Stump

The Del Norte Wonder{stump} was made famous on postcards in the 1930s-40s, discovered when the areas north of Crescent City were being logged. The tree that was cut, a Coast Redwood, was discovered to have grown on/over/around a fallen tree. An newspaper article reported that “in the 1940’s an expert found that the original stump {log} was 1,000 years old when the tree fell and the tree growing out of the stump {log}, 1,000 years its junior.” So the caption…

Read More Read More

Wreck of the Sea Foam

Wreck of the Sea Foam

At low tide a large, encrusted boiler, the only remains of the wreck of the Sea Foam, a coastal steamer is visible from the municipal pier in the shallow waters of Arena Cove just to the south of the pier. Often the resident river otters can be seen frolicking about it. Since 1900, “the Sea Foam was a vital part of the economy of the coast. The steamers generally were run for the logging industry, so other freight and passengers…

Read More Read More

Union Elementary School

Union Elementary School

For over 100 years, Union Elementary School has provided a uniquely enriching educational program dedicated to the needs of the individual student. This continuing program has centered itself on developing each child to their fullest potential, academically and socially. Situated only 10 minutes west of Petaluma, this small public school serves children in Kindergarten though Sixth grade. Students come from throughout the Petaluma area and surrounding farmland. About this Establishment Union Elementary School is the only school in the Union…

Read More Read More

Toscano Hotel and Kitchen

Toscano Hotel and Kitchen

Built in 1851, the building now known as the Toscano Hotel is one of the oldest commercial wood-frame structures in Sonoma and has a colorful history. In its early years, the building served many different purposes including warehouse for General Vallejo’s wine, general store, and lending library. In 1886 an Italian immigrant from Tuscany, Settimo Cuicci and his partner, L. Quartaroli, rented the building and turned it into a working man’s hotel (the Toscano, which means-man from Tuscany) to accommodate…

Read More Read More

Temple of Kwan Tai

Temple of Kwan Tai

Dedicated to the Chinese god of war – a Taoist symbol of integrity and loyalty, the Temple of Kwan Tai offers living evidence of Mendocino’s 19th Century Chinese community. Four generations of its founders’ descendants have preserved this original Taoist temple, a site now recognized as a California Registered Historic Landmark No. 927. The Temple of Kwan Tai was restored and rededicated in October 2001 through the efforts of the Hee Family, the Temple Trustees, Mendocino youth involved in the…

Read More Read More

Sonoma Barracks

Sonoma Barracks

The two-storied adobe barracks facing Sonoma’s central plaza was built to house Mexican army troops under the command of General Vallejo. These troops arrived in Sonoma in 1834. From then until 1846, Sonoma was the headquarters of the commandant of the Frontera del Norte – the Mexican Provincial of the north. Construction was completed in 1840 and ’41. Following the Bear Flag takeover of Sonoma on June 14th, 1846, the barracks housed a number of Bear Flag followers until July…

Read More Read More

Sonoma Mission – the last of 21

Sonoma Mission – the last of 21

Mission San Francisco Solano was the last and northernmost California mission and was the only mission founded after Mexico’s independence from Spain. Franciscan Father Jose Altimira consecrated the mission on July 4, 1823. He was acting with the approval of Governor Luis Arguello, but without church sanction. He intended to close down Missions San Francisco de Asis ( known as Dolores) and San Rafael and move their people and goods to Sonoma where water, wood, stone and other building materials…

Read More Read More

Russian River Historical Society

Russian River Historical Society

The Russian River Historical Society is a completely volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and archiving the history of all the Russian River communities. About this Establishment Founded in 1983 as a non-profit membership organization, the Russian River Historical Society collects and preserves oral and visual histories, biographies and autobiographies of and about the local citizens and towns. Through the Russian River Historical Society, many local citizens, young and old, are able to learn about the history at the quarterly…

Read More Read More

Saint George Reef Lighthouse

Saint George Reef Lighthouse

St. George Reef Lighthouse stands on an exposed rock off the coast of northern California. Visible from the nearby Point St. George Heritage Area and the Crescent City coastline, the light from the tower’s black cast-iron lantern began to warn vessels away from the hazardous reef hidden beneath the surface in 1892. Because continued exposure to the unforgiving elements made maintenance expensive and duty dangerous, this concrete and granite sentinel was deactivated in 1975. The St. George Reef Lighthouse Preservation…

Read More Read More

Rio Theater

Rio Theater

Anyone who has passed through Monte Rio along the Russian River cannot help but notice the Rio Theater – a quirky movie theater housed in a Quonset hut. A mural depicting the area adorns the outside while inside top rated motion pictures are screened for short runs usually two or more weeks after their initial release. About this Establishment Local merchant, Sid Bartlett, started building the theater in 1949, and completed it in 1950. It was built from a surplus…

Read More Read More