Browsed by
Tag: Historic or Pre-historic Place

Point Reyes Lighthouse

Point Reyes Lighthouse

The Point Reyes Lighthouse itself is 150 meters (0.1 miles) beyond the Visior Center at the base of some 300 steps – the equivalent of 30 stories. The lens room, which houses the original clockworks and first-order Fresnel lens that were manufactured in 1867 and installed in 1870, is open from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays through Mondays as staffing and weather conditions permit. The lower chamber of the historic lighthouse has exhibit panels on the history of the…

Read More Read More

Point Arena Centennial Plaza, City Park & Coastal Access Scenic Bikeway

Point Arena Centennial Plaza, City Park & Coastal Access Scenic Bikeway

Centennial Plaza, located in the center of the Downtown Historic District, is the gateway to the City Park and the Point Arena Coastal Access Scenic Bikeway. It features a spectacular 28-foot diameter pebble mosaic plaza surrounded by bench seating and sheltered from the wind. The plaza area also provides free parking and public restrooms. The Centennial Plaza was named in 2008, 100 years after the incorporation of the City of Point Arena. The pebble mosaic, designed and brought into existence…

Read More Read More

Point Arena Light Station: Lighthouse, Museum, Gift Store, Vacation Rentals

Point Arena Light Station: Lighthouse, Museum, Gift Store, Vacation Rentals

The Point Arena Light Station welcomes visitors. They may climb to the top of the 115 foot tower and view spectacular rocks and surf that were a peril for early sailors. See the waves created by the underwater mountain, Arena Rock, that doomed many lumber schooners and passenger ships traveling to and from San Francisco. The original lighthouse built in 1870 was destroyed in the Great Quake of 1906. The current tower began operating in 1908 and at 115 feet…

Read More Read More

Point Cabrillo Light Station & Inn

Point Cabrillo Light Station & Inn

The Point Cabrillo Preserve, a unit of California State Parks, includes the historic 1909 Light Station (30.5 acres), and approximately 270 acres of undeveloped coastal bluffs and prairie. The lighthouse has an original Third Order Fresnel lens that continues to operate 24 hours a day as an active Federal Aid to Navigation. The property was purchased and preserved from development in 1992 by the California State Coastal Conservancy and managed by a non-profit affiliate, the North Coast Interpretive Association. In…

Read More Read More

Old Town Eureka

Old Town Eureka

Nowhere is Eureka’s heritage more evident than in Old Town and Downtown, a meticulously preserved and restored district of unique shops, restaurants, galleries and museums. The 49 block district includes art galleries, theaters, pubs, antique shops, clothing shops, local coffee houses, a coffee roaster, a brewery, and the newest addition, The Arkley Center for the Performing Arts. Take a walking tour of the historic buildings in Old Town or view it from the seat of a horse-drawn carriage. Take a…

Read More Read More

Maysonnave House

Maysonnave House

Recognizing the historical value of his 1910 cottage, Henri Maysonnave willed it to the City of Sonoma in 1989. The Sonoma League for Historic Preservation then secured a long-term lease from the City and in 2008 the League completed restoration of The Heritage Center at Maysonnave House. The building interior displays the furniture of 1920 and the gardens have been restored to the 1910 style. The League Survey of Historical Resources of Sonoma Valley and the Cochran Binders containing details…

Read More Read More

Luther Burbank Home & Garden

Luther Burbank Home & Garden

The Burbank Home is a modified Greek Revival house occupied by Luther Burbank from 1884 to 1906. He had another home built across Tupper Street in 1906, which was removed in the late 1960s for other development. After Burbank’s death in 1926, the new occupants made several additions and improvements to the structure, whose tastes are now reflected in the structures’ present appearance and furnishings. The Carriage House was originally a place to store carriages and horse tack, and was…

Read More Read More

Historic Lifeboat Station at Point Reyes

Historic Lifeboat Station at Point Reyes

How many prayers went unanswered along this prominent point? How many lives were lost and how many tears of sorrow fell for those who drowned in a cold dangerous sea? If you were fated to wreck along the rocky headlands or to beach in the pounding surf of Point Reyes beach, your cries for help and mercy would often be lost among the unrelenting waves of the Pacific. A Call to Action: Before the establishment of Life Saving and Lifeboat…

Read More Read More

Historic RCA Coast Station KPH

Historic RCA Coast Station KPH

This quiet landscape, a haven for migrant birds among the Monterey cypress trees has long been shaped by a myriad of people drawn to it’s rich soil and beaches. Coast Miwok people, farmers, military and communication workers, and now scientists have all walked the dunes and grasslands of this site. These buildings, now an office setting for park workers, were once in the forefront of communication technology – a wireless telegraph station where operators tapped out Morse Code messages across…

Read More Read More

Hooker House

Hooker House

The General Joseph Hooker House was built in the early 1850’s for Civil War General “Fighting Joe” Hooker. Hooker sold the house originally located on First Street West, and the many acres of adjoining land to Catherine Vasquez and her husband, Pedro, with the deed registered in Catherine’s name. The Vasquez family occupied the house until 1901, and it is believed that at least two of their children were born in one of the upstairs bedrooms. In 1973, the house…

Read More Read More